top of page

(Including New Product Launches)


When you meet with your advisor, they will listen openly to your concerns and discuss your financial challenges, goals, and expectations in a judgment-free environment.

  • New Idea Assessments- Assessing your idea(s) and deciding whether or not to move forward with them can be confusing. The Kansas SBDC can work with you on sizing up your business concept and help you formulate a plan for your next steps, including Tech Commercialization.

  • Business Plans - A good business plan guides you through each stage of starting, managing, and growing your business. The Kansas SBDC can help you think about your business in a thorough and systemic way and guide you in the process of creating your business plan.

       For a Business Plan Template and Walk Through check out step 2.

  • Financial Projections - The Kansas SBDC makes it easy for businesses to evaluate their numbers and use that information to plan carefully and make decisions to avoid business failure.

  • Raising Money - If you need to raise money to get started, we can help walk you through the various Funding Options available for your business. Click here for more information on Funding Options.


 Your Kansas SBDC advisor can help you understand the process of registering with the state as well as what licenses and permits you may have to obtain,     and any fees you may be required to pay. Additionally, we can help you set-up the various Sales Tax Payable Accounts & Business Identification numbers. 

  • Your business structure (Sole Proprietor, LLC, etc) affects how much you pay in taxes, the paperwork you need to file, and your personal liability. 

  • Employer Identification Number (EIN): like a social security number for your business

  • Sales Tax Payable Account Set-up: An account with the State of Kansas for Businesses that need to collect Sales Tax

  • Available LLC “Startup TriFecta” Service for Kansas Businesses: Kansas businesses can call our 7 day per week Assistance Center at (800)949-7661 for help with these first 3 items (Business Structure, EIN, Sales Tax Payable Acct).  For businesses that have determined an LLC is the correct business structure for them, the Startup Trifecta takes approximately 1 hour (give or take 15mins) with same/next day virtual meetings typically available.

  • DUNS Number: a business identification number that is used for some Grant programs, you can apply for your free DUNS number here 

  • Optional:  SBA Business Certifications (Minority, Women Owned, Veteran): These designations can help significantly with Government Contracting and sometimes help with special Grants or Funding programs.  Your SBDC Advisor can help you understand these programs but the actual certification is thru the SBA itself. To sign up for government contracting, you will need to get your free System for Award Management (SAM) registration found here.


State and local governments require many industries to have permits or licenses to operate. A business owner, or the professionals the business hires, also may need individual occupational or professional licenses.  Businesses should also check with the county and local government where they are doing business to determine any local permitting, filing, and reporting requirements.


After successfully registering for the required licenses and permits necessary to operate a business, it is recommended you keep a record of when the licenses and permits need renewed. Many state agencies allow licenses, permits, and filings to be submitted or renewed online.


The following link provides the list of common businesses or areas that require registration, licensing, or permits with specific state agencies or commissions as well as links to county and local governments, click here.


You don't have to be an HR professional to learn the basics. The Kansas SBDC can work with you on hiring processes, rules & regulations, staff roles, and manuals.


To learn more about our Tech Commercialization program (including help with SBIR/STTR Grants & Intellectual Property Protection), click here.


Funded in part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.

bottom of page